BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The art of Procrastinating Through Cooking, Part I

Ever want to know what happens at the end of the semester when I have two huge papers to write and a midterm to study for?  I take the one free day I have and make the most of it, enjoying every ounce of divine procrastination.  Today's procrastination effort? Chicken Pot Pie, and a Strawberry Cobbler.  In this post, you will see the preparation efforts, the end results are to come in the next post.


Chicken Pot Pie:
I didn't have anything in the kitchen, and I didn't feel like going to the grocery store.  When you live in the country, going to the grocery store is at least an hour long commitment when you include travel.  So I dug up what I had in the freezer.

3 Chicken Breasts
2 Rolled Frozen Pie Crusts
1 bag of frozen corn
1 package of brown gravy  mix

So really this is only semi-homemade (but not like that Sandra Lee lady because she is NOT a real cook).  I love chicken pot pie, but I wanted to do something a little less traditional.  With a regular chicken pot pie you would boil a whole chicken, both white and dark meats, and then pull apart the pieces, saving the broth and using it to make gravy.  Instead, here is what I did.

I began by cutting the chicken into really tiny pieces, and then grilled it on the stove, with some lemon juice, poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning and parsley, until done and beautifully golden brown.

I placed the bottom pie crust into a pie plate, and then the cooked chicken, along with 1/4 of the bag of corn into the pie crust.  I then prepared the gravy and poured it into the pie, and placed the other pie crust on top.

The pie with the chicken, gravy and corn :)

Now the crust is on top, it needs to be prettied up :)


It's nothing fancy, but look what a simple use of the fork around the edges does!

It is now sitting in the refrigerator until dinner time.  I'll cut a small slit in the middle to let out steam, and then it will be cooked at 400 until the crust is golden brown :)... YUM!

Now to dessert!  Something you should know about Ruffin is that we have the most amazing strawberries in the world (thanks to the Brown family) and since it is now Strawberry season, tonight's dessert is a delicious Strawberry cobbler.  This one IS entirely from scratch!


First, start with some delicious strawberries!

Cut them up into small pieces


 Place into a saucepan over medium heat


Add one cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Drain off juice and place the strawberries into a square casserole dish.  Save the juice to make syrup for pancakes, or to use as a glaze for a roast :)


Mix up secret sweet crust recipe from Great Grandma Miller ;)



Place crust on top of cobbler :)


Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes or until crust is done.  

Pictures of the end results will be posted soon :)... I'm excited for dinner tonight!

If you want some delicious strawberries, come to Ruffin and visit North Star Farmer's Market!  They have some amazing stuff, like different preserves and salsas.  Today I got some Strawberry Cider, and Strawberry salsa.  Are you noticing a theme?  And all of them are just divine!

Anyway, it's time for me to finish my cooking (and hopefully end my streak of paper-writing procrastination) ... See ya soon!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. What do you mean Sandra Lee isn't a real cook? Just because she uses shortcuts?

2. What's in the Dove box in the background?

3. I see your birfday cake!

4. Oooh, bring some strawberry salsa tomorrow night :)

laura beth said...

lol... It's not that I don't like Sandra Lee... her cookbooks are pretty good... but watch some of her shows and see just how embarrassing some of her ideas are... surely you've seen the one where she takes the sheet cake and puts cookies all over it? The woman is a nut!

laura beth said...

oh...also the Dove box in the back ground is a chocolate Easter bunny :)... and also... as much as I would love to share the strawberry salsa...there might not be any left tomorrow... I'll have to try to swing by the farmer's market and pick up some more before Bible Study :)