BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wii Fit Accountability

At the beginning of the year, I joined in with the hype of the millions of other New Year's Resolution fanatics and decided that this year I was going to get in shape and get healthy.  Nathan and I got a gym membership, we bought healthy food, and I also got a Wii fit for Christmas.  For the first couple months we were doing really well.  We went to the gym, we exercised, we did everything we were supposed to do.  But then, something happened, and we just lost our motivation.... sad confession:  we haven't been in over a month to the gym.

Well, the other day I turned on the Wii to play my Ninja Turtles fight game, when I noticed the little box for Wii fit plus yelling at me.  I tried to avert my eyes, pressing buttons faster so that I could get away from that stressful main screen.  Scrolling along the box was "it's been 5 weeks since your last workout."  I felt so gross, and so huge, just because of the fact that it had pointed this out to me.  Have I gained weight?  No.  Have I increased jeans size?  No.  Do I need to lose weight?  Not really, I'm right where I'm supposed to be.  But do I need to keep myself healthy and get in shape?  Absolutely!

That silly little Wii box stressed me out so much.  I don't know why really, other than the fact that the Wii fit plus was the only thing holding me accountable.  The fun part, was that I could turn it off and ignore it without hurting it's feelings.  But it was too late, it had gotten to me.

Then, this morning, during my break between classes, I called my husband to say hello, to see how work was going for the day.  The first thing he asked me was if I wanted to go back to the gym tomorrow.  Instantly, I felt that stress again, the pressure of having to get dressed and drive all the way to the gym, and I started making a slew of excuses as to why I didn't have time to go tomorrow.

After I hung up the phone I went to McDonalds on campus and ordered some delicious nuggies and fries, with sweet tea and BBQ sauce.  As soon as I sat down, I felt so gross.  Sure the food was delicious, but I realized that the little bit of accountability from the Wii Fit Plus and also from Nathan was all that I needed to get back in gear with going to the gym.  The funny part is that I really do love going.  I feel so free of stress and anxiety when I'm on the treadmill, listening to my Ipod and going as fast (slow) as my short little legs will carry me.

Just to be clear, I have been running recently.  Although I should probably clarify that as well.  Two weeks ago I went for a 2 mile run with my dog... I was exhausted afterwards, and my Nike+ Ipod app informed me that it was the slowest I had ever run, and that I was, in fact, a failure at life.

SO... back to the gym I will go.  I have been held accountable... I have been motivated... and I'm looking forward to being able to fit in a bathing suit when we go to Williamsburg for our anniversary next month.  Accountability is funny isn't it?  Maybe sometimes all we need is that little scrolling reminder at the bottom of the screen telling us to get off our butts and stop making excuses.

0 comments: