BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Too Fat to Fight??

CNN had an interesting/sad article online earlier today about people in the United States being too fat to fight in the military, and making the argument that this could one day lead to a national security threat.  You can find the article here: Too Fat to Fight Article

My thoughts on this?  Well to those of you who have known me for a while you may be shocked by this, but I'm kind of a pacifist.  That's right, Duke has had a bit of an influence on me over the years.  Now that doesn't mean I am against guns, but it does mean that I can't stand the idea of war... I think it's a waste of money, and I think it's a waste of human life and the list goes on and on.

I do think gluttony and the excessiveness of the way we live in this country is really disgusting and we should be doing something to fix it... we have become fatter and fatter, and lazier and lazier over the years, and it's not going to get any better unless we kick it into gear.  But, I can't help but wonder after reading this article, if more and more people are becoming too fat to stay in the military, maybe this is the answer to the problem of war.  Just get everyone really fat, to the point that they CAN'T fight, and in the future we can settle all disputes over a good piece of cake and a cup of coffee.

Maybe gluttony is the true answer to world peace.  Maybe if we are all too fat to run around and shoot people in real life, we can instead live out our battles through a good game of Splinter Cell... whoever takes out the most people wins!

Of course, I am meaning this somewhat facetiously, and it is sad that we as a country are too unhealthy to even have the option of serving in the military.  But, I can't say I would be too terribly disappointed if there wasn't a war at all...we can't fight a war without people to fight.  Maybe this could prompt us to learn new ways to end problems, and maybe open the opportunity for real reconciliation in this world.  But of course that is just wishful thinking!

0 comments: